The aim of the ultrasound exam performed in the 30th week is to monitor the fetus’ rate of growth as check umbilical and cerebral circulation. At this time, our doctors analyze 16 exam planes, and check the structure of the heart, as there are heart defects that are not yet visible at the 20-week exam (aortic stenosis).
These generally are small heart defects that typically can be treated well, and that are important to know about in order to prepare prior to the birth. This way we can save extremely valuable time, and treatment of the detected problem can begin directly after the baby’s birth.
The ultrasound test usually occurs between weeks 30 and 32 of the pregnancy. This assessment is recommended by both Hungarian and international protocol, especially for expectant mothers who have experienced complications in a previous pregnancy such as preeclampsia, fetal growth restriction, gestational diabetes or miscarriage. It is also highly recommended if there have been any issues with the current pregnancy, or if the term of pregnancy is uncertain.
At this screening, the growth and status of the baby are determined, and any development abnormalities not previously identified are excluded using the following tests:
- Measurement of the baby’s head, waist and long, tubular bones, as well as an estimation of the baby’s weight
- Examination of the baby’s movements
- Examination of the location and appearance of the womb
- Determination of the quantity of amniotic fluid
- Examination of baby’s brain and fetal circulation, assessment on supply of oxygen and nutrition to the baby
- Evaluation of the central nervous system by examining brain structures, fluid compartments and gray matter striatum
- Examination of kidney and urinary tract system to exclude later possibility of dilation, constipation or kidney structural disorders
- Examination of gastric and intestinal tracts to exclude possibility of later bowel obstruction and blockage
- Examination of the heart and large artery veins to exclude the possibility of later vasoconstriction